8.04.2009

More fall for you...

I went out to the garden this morning to water and pick some goodies, I ended up with another 8 of these:
 
Plus, tomatoes, hot peppers, zucchinis, cucumbers, cowpeas, and peas. I made some salsa and pesto this morning using a bunch of stuff from the garden. In sad garden news, all of my sweet corn has been eaten and enjoyed by raccoons. I am already developing a new plan for next year.  
I thought I would pass along this recipe for the zucchini bread- (schbvonne is the one you want or are you talking about the pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting from our papersource knitting, oh so long ago)
Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini- 
(*I used a yellow variety and just grated it up, it wasn't very finely grated, 
I also used a little more than 1 cup)
1 egg
1/4 cup cooking oil (*I used vegetable)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts  
(*I like nuts, but also make it without them, I reserved about 1 tablespoon of the flour and 
mixed it with the nuts to coat them evenly. This keeps them from sinking in the batter.)  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and baking powder; set aside. In a mixing bowl (*I used my kitchenaid mixer for this part) beat together sugar, shredded zucchini, and egg. Add oil and vanilla; mix well. (*this part should start smelling really good) Stir flour mixture into zucchinin mixture. (*I slowly added it while the mixer was on low.) Gently fold in the chopped nuts. (*I used a spatula to fold them in.) Turn batter into a greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes (*mine was done at 57 min) or till a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool thoroughly on rack. Wrap and store loaf overnight before slicing. (* I couldn't wait and tested it the day I made it, but it tasted better the next morning, so waiting is probably a good idea.) Makes 1 loaf. 
In other notes, my mom thought it was a little dry, I thought it was just right  with a smear of butter on top. I might adjust the liquid content a little. We will see, I am going to make another loaf tomorrow morning.  
Now for some sneak peaks of what I have been up to in the studio:

First here a peak at the short/pant tutorial that is coming soon! This is a version for a girl.

 and here is my first attempt at free motion quilting (sorry it is a little difficult to see, but you can enlargeit by clicking on it). I might make this into a little tutorial. 

 
a little christmas coming at ya.  
 Off to work on some more projects and getting ready to do some canning tomorrow-

No comments:

Post a Comment