6.04.2009

Happy Thursday and My Sewing Machine!

so it is sewing maching month over on Sew, Mama, Sew so I thought I would share my pal, that is lovely named Thing/Pal-(I am not sure that it has a name but everything I say to it seems to be good thing, way-to-go pal,  are you freakin' kidding me you crazy thing, fun pal and the list goes on)

so here is a little bit about Thing/Pal:



What brand and model do you have?
I  have a Brother XR-65
 

How long have you had it?
I have had it since I was about half way through fashion design school, so I guess that has been about 5+ years. 
 

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
I am not sure my mom got it for me from costco I think, but found them online for at overstock.com for $108.99 for a refurbished one.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
This machine has certainly taken a beating, from school (swimwear, heavy jackets, a wedding gown with 34 yards of organza, countless muslins, women's wear, etc.) from home (quilting, women's wear, children's wear, pet beds, handbags, baby bags, etc.) and now for my work (children's wear, accessories and more) I think this machine had pretty much seen it all even sewed paper garlands and invitations together.  
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
Practically everyday ranging from 15 mins to 8-10 hours.  
Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I love my machine for the fact that it sews/works fairly well and has lasted for quite a few years and several moves. I hate how it can't really handle very thick or two many layers and now I have to almost always use my walking foot to achieve even stitches and for it to look nice. (I think it is time to have it serviced again). We have our issues. I will probably keep this machine for a long time and use it for simple projects or for others to use to sew on when I hang out with friends. I love that it has a table that attaches to it to create a nice flat place to for quilts to rest on or hold up lots of fabric. Her name is Thing/Pal.  

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
My machine as a needle threader, but I rarely use it. I love the walking foot, several of the decorative stitches and the table feature. I love that it is fairly lightweight and really easy to thread. 
 

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
Nothing really drives me nuts but I wish I had some more feet attachments for it. 
 

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
 I actually just sewed my finger a few weeks ago and it was my first time ever doing that. I mean all through school using industrial machines and at home it hasn't happened. I was working on a diaper bag and it just started being pulled all wonky and I tried pulling the fabric back under the needle, when my left index finger met with the needle and went right through it. Since then I have done it one more time. I am chalking it up to the fact that I am just getting to crazy when I sew. 
 

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
I would recommend this machine for someone who is just beginning, it is easy to use and doesn't have a lot of complicated features. 


What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
Service, ease of use, available accessories, and  how it feels (find a dealer, test drive it, ask a lot of questions, read some reviews, think about it and then go for it) I think one of the most important things is to remember if it feels right to you then it probably is... I mean don't get talked into features or accessories that you will never use.

 

Do you have a dream machine?
Yes, it is a Viking Sapphire 870 Quilt. I am literally in love with this machine and have gone to test drive it several times. I have read mixed reviews on it, but I think that it is worth it. I am in the process of saving to get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment