8.31.2009

Wow, August You Came and Went, Way to Fast!!!

I really can't believe that today is the last day of August and fall is just right around the corner. I really do love this time of year and am excited to really enjoy the holiday season. Today, has been filled with laundry, a toddler who really doesn't want to take a nap, some gardening, and some figuring out twitter. Yep,  I am now twittering. So, check it out and follow me since I seem to be addicted to it. It is just so fun, fast, and easy. I will try to make them more interesting since my first two were sort of test tweets.

Okay, now for my monthly recap in photos:

 
Making Bread & Butter Pickles
(I made 8 pint jars with this recipe, but warning they are addictive, we ate one jar in one night! The recipe is adapted from one found in my mom's Daniel's County cookbook 1976.) 
First slice up some cucumbers. 
(the recipe calls for 1 gallon, sliced with peels and I used my mandoline for slicing)
  
 (* you stir in 1/2 cup of salt with the cucumbers, but I forgot to do this and actually like them without it, maybe I will add it next time.)
Next make your syrup: 
5 cups sugar
5 cups vinegar
2 Tablespoons Mustard Seed
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 1/2 Teaspoons Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Celery Seed
  
Heat mixture to scalding do not boil.
Pack your cucumber slices into scalded jars.
  
*looking yummy
Finally pour syrup into jars leaving 1/2" headspace, wipe rims, seal and I processed for them for about 15 minutes in a hot water bath.
 
 Let them cool, store, eat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment