2.25.2010

Quilt Guild Tonight...

since I decided to start quilting as a relaxing sewing hobby unlike designing patterns and making clothing, I joined a quilt guild back in September or October. (yeah, if you know me, you know I never do anything with out going for it 110%) It was also an attempt to meet some people since 1) I am not super social 2) I find it hard to make new friends 3) since moving back to Idaho, I remembered just how clique-y it was when I left. I am really trying to get out of my little box and try putting myself out there (I am sure I am going to be having to do more of this in the future, so it is good to get a head start) I am probably the youngest member of the quilt guild and am slowly meeting people, but it is still pretty tough. Tonight is the monthly meeting and I actually did a few things this time...
Anyways, I finally made my little name badge:
 I made it pretty small, I was sick of wasting those labels...

Next, there are always some blocks that you can try out and I decided if I was going to be in a quilt guild, I better at least work on participating. (I have yet to finish a big quilt to take for show'n'tell but I have a goal of getting one done) 

Here is the first block I did for tonight:
(finished size: 10" x 10" fabric: prints from Moda solid from Jo-anns)
It is a paper pieced heart, this was my first attempt at paper piecing and I really enjoyed it for two reasons: it uses scraps up nicely and was really interesting to see it come together. 

This next one is probably my favorite of the two. I think I may turn this block into a pillow. 
(block size: 12" x 12" fabric: Print-Anna Maria Horner Solid- from Jo-anns)
I decided to make the heart more of an outline by making the center solid, but you could do it all prints. I found this one to be really relaxing and a lot of fun sort of like putting a puzzle together.
Now, my studio is undergoing an extensive clean out and getting super organized (I even broke out the labeler) I need to get it purged, cleaned and ready for all the projects that I am going to be working on over the next few months. Hav

No comments:

Post a Comment